One thing I’ll never understand is major league baseball and their free agency schedule. For baseball, free agency starts three days after the end of the World Series. There is no waiting around. With that apparent urgency, you’d expect that something would happen. But, what happens?
Since free agency started a week ago, I think I’ve seen one player get signed. Jim Thome. Who I thought had retired at least three years ago. B-O-R-I-N-G!
In football, free agency takes place quite a while after the Super Bowl, but it’s worth the wait. A couple of years ago, Jim Schwartz, the coach of the Lions, rang Kyle VanDenBosh’s doorbell at 12:01am to try to convince him to sign with the Lions (and he did!). Football is a flurry of activity and it’s fun to watch!
Why baseball makes the start of their process a collective yawner is something I have yet to make sense of.
Here are some great blog posts as well as links to some carnival round-ups that I was included in this week.
- Thousandaire – Saving Money For The Future Doesn’t Matter If You’re Dead
- Len Penzo – 16 Reasons Why Whirlpool Tubs Are For Suckers
- My Broken Coin – Herman Cain’s Peculiar 9-9-9 Plan
- Faith And Finance – Should Churches Show The Weekly Offering In Weekly Bulletins?
- Miss Thrifty – Getting Organized For Christmas
- Squirrlers – My Starbucks Customer Experience – Loopholes And Deals Are Fun!
- The Finance Buff – Best HSA Provider For Investing HSA Money
- Beating Broke – How To Combat Frugal Fatigue When Being Gazelle Intense
- Afford Anything – Festival of Frugality
- One Cent At A Time – Yakezie Carnival
- Barbara Freidberg Personal Finance – Carnival of Personal Finance
Have a great weekend!