I make it a habit to check our account balances almost every day. It only takes a couple quick minutes to log into our bank account and each of our credit card accounts to check the balances and log the transactions into the tracking spreadsheet that I use.
Yesterday was a rare day in that nothing changed!
That’s right, the balances were the same as they were the day before.
Which is really rare for us.
At first glance, this might seem like we’re spend-crazy. But, I assure you we’re not. It’s just that we have so many bills that either get paid automatically, plus just the everyday shopping that goes on, there’s usually something that happens every day.
I mean, just off the top of my head:
- Mortgage and credit cards come out around the first of the month.
- Gas, electric, and cable each come out on different days of the month.
- Automatic contributions to the kids 529 accounts happen twice per month
- Payday (direct deposit) twice per month
- Cell phone bill once per month
- Grocery store trip weekly
- Gas fillups when needed
- Shopping at Target for baby formula
- Amazon orders for diapers when needed
- Clothes, household items, and other misc. spending
And that’s just off the top of my head!
Can you see why I make it a habit to check every day that I can? It makes sure that keeping current is not a burdensome exercise. Because, with so much changing on a daily basis, it gives me peace of mind to know where our balances stand.
How often do you track your account balances? Are days where they don’t change common or rare for you?Copyright 2017 Original content authorized only to appear on Money Beagle. Please subscribe via RSS, follow me on Twitter, Facebook, or receive e-mail updates. Thank you for reading.