In addition to the multitude of little things I want to do around the house throughout the year, there are a few big things we’ll probably need to get done:
- Tree removal in the backyard – The backyard was completely wooded when we moved in. We had a bunch of dead trees and brush removed in a portion of it that we had sodded so that we had an actual backyard. We left about fifteen mature trees. Unfortunately, the biggest one has developed some sort of issue and needs to come down as it’s been slowly dying over the past couple of years. Last year we had leaves coming down on us as we celebrated the 4th of July! Not good! Since it overhangs the deck, taking it down will be a big job as they will have to take it down piece by piece. We’ll probably cut a couple of the smaller ones down as well that, as we’ve had the yard for a few years, we realize we don’t really care for.
- Replace the dishwasher – Last month, I wrote about how we need a new dishwasher as our current one is leaking. For now, I have an interim solution of a drip pan on the floor underneath all the connections. Since it ‘only’ leaks about a quarter cup of liquid for each cycle, this easily catches and even evaporates between cycles. Still, this is a temporary solution and we’ll need to get it replaced sometime this year.
Re-landscape the area between the house and front walkway – The bushes that are there have outlived their life. They can’t really be trimmed back and they overhang the walkway so much so that it’s time for them to come out. I’ve talked about this every year since we moved in, so hopefully this is the year.
- Re-paint the deck – It’s been three years since I power washed and re-painted the deck. Because of all the trees in the backyard and the leaves and pollen, plus winter wear, it needs to be done every three years or so. I actually put a quick coat on last year as it started to flake, but that was a temporary solution. I might be able to get away with that one more year, or I might have to go for broke and do the whole thing again. We’ll see in the spring.
- Replace the kitchen sink – The current sink is ugly, white, chipped, and is very shallow. I’d like to replace it with a new stainless steel sink along with updated fixtures.
In addition, we’ll be keeping an eye on the following things:
- Roof – The roof is thirteen years old, and some of the valleys are deteriorating quickly. I’m hoping for a fifteen year lifespan, which would push us until 2014, but how quickly the bad areas go could push this up.
- Water heater – Again, this is an original so I realize that this could go as well. In my last place, the one that was there failed at around fifteen years of age.
- Furnace and compressor – I’m hoping that the furnace and A/C last to 20-25 years old, which would only put it about halfway through the life cycle, but you never know.
Last year the big stuff was:
- Lifting the sunken areas of the driveway and having the cracks sealed
- Glass block basement windows
- Re-painting the kids play set
Any big projects planned for 2012?Copyright 2017 Original content authorized only to appear on Money Beagle. Please subscribe via RSS, follow me on Twitter, Facebook, or receive e-mail updates. Thank you for reading.