Swallowed Coin: Thoughts As I Followed The Ambulance To My House

My wife often calls me at work a couple of times throughout the day, so when the phone rang on Monday morning, I thought nothing of it as I picked up.  But this was a different call than I’ve ever received.  It’s one that I hope I don’t have to hear again.  She was frantic and told me that our daughter had swallowed a coin and that it was stuck in her throat.  My mind snapped to attention.  The first thing I noticed was that my daughter was in the background crying.  This was actually good.  It meant that the swallowed coin was not fully blocking her airflow.

Still, you could tell that she was in distress and my wife told me that she couldn’t get it out, either up or down.  It was lodged.

The Biggest Risk Was Panic

Our daughter was upset.  I heard her crying but she was also trying hard to catch her breath, which was made more difficult by the fact that she was crying.  She’s always been one, even as a little baby, that would often throw up when she got really upset.  This would be a very, very bad thing to happen in this case.  If she kept getting more upset and struggling, she could throw up, which could then fully block her airway or cause her to inhale the vomit into her lungs.

It’s Getting Worse, I Have To Go

All of the things I just outlined in the paragraphs since I picked up the phone were thoughts that went through my head in just a couple of seconds.  My wife confirmed that she was breathing and wanted to know what she should do.  Before I even had a chance to answer, she said “It’s getting worse, I’m calling 9….”

And the phone cut out.

Working Close To Home

I’d already gotten up from my desk and walked out over toward the corner of the building.  After this, I went back to my desk and grabbed my keys.  I tried calling my wife a couple of times in hopes that things had somehow gotten better.  Unfortunately, it went to voicemail each time.

mb-2015-06-ambuI got in the car and started home.  I tried to drive calm.  The fact that I’d heard our daughter crying on the phone told me that at least she was breathing.  If there was to be any type of an emergency with not breathing, I knew that the clock hadn’t started yet.

It’s only about a six minute drive for me, and most of it was as a normal drive would be except that it was during mid-morning.  When I turned off one road and onto the main road where our subdivision entered, that’s when I saw how real it was.  About a half mile in front of me was a fire truck and ambulance with sirens and lights on.

I see emergency trucks all the time, but this was different.  This time, I knew exactly where they were going.

I was about a minute behind and so when I pulled up, they were just getting out of their trucks.  Since they grabbed equipment, I was able to get to our front door before they did.  My wife was standing there holding our daughter, who now seemed much better.

It Finally Went Down

Somewhere in the minutes between when my wife hung up with me and when I (and the emergency trucks) got to our house, the coin had finally gotten unlodged and went the rest of the way down.

The emergency responders were great.  They quickly assessed that she wasn’t in immediate distress.  The EMTs talked to my wife to find out what had happened.  One got down on the same level as my daughter and talked to her.  He asked some questions and made sure she was coherent.  They took her blood pressure and listened to her lungs .  When everything was all said and done, they explained that she still needed to get checked out.  They recommended she go to the hospital.  We had a choice of whether to take her ourselves or have them take her.

We chose to take her.  It seemed less scary to her and seemed as though the worst had passed.  They still took her over to the ambulance and gave her a stuffed animal.  And, they even gave one to her for her brother!

In The End

By the time it was all said and done, a second ambulance had arrived as well as a police car.  Our street was pretty well full of emergency vehicles, and I’m sure any neighbors that happened to be home were curious, though with the time of day, we didn’t attract any sort of crowd.

My wife did take her to the emergency room (a post for another day) and they checked her out and determined that she had swallowed a small coin (we think a dime) and that it should naturally pass.

We’ve talked to our kids multiple times about not putting things in their mouth, and while they often listen, they’re both stubborn and often learn lessons the hard way.  I have a feeling that she might have finally learned her lesson.

At the end of the day, we all said a little extra prayer and gave a few extra hugs.  While it ended up not being a true emergency, it was still a scary and humbling experience.  To see how quickly things can change is truly incredible and something that no parent should forget.  Our daughter went from playing with toys to switching to a coin and putting it in her mouth, in a matter of moments.  She had an angel watching over her, and I hope it stays next to her!

Readers,hopefully you’ve never had to go through anything so scary, but if you have, please share your experiences in the comments below.

Copyright 2017 Original content authorized only to appear on Money Beagle. Please subscribe via RSS, follow me on Twitter, Facebook, or receive e-mail updates. Thank you for reading.

12 thoughts on “Swallowed Coin: Thoughts As I Followed The Ambulance To My House

  1. That would be terrifying. So glad everything worked out. When i was in the shower a few weeks ago my daughter snuck into thw bathroom without me hearing and I found her a few mins later with an empty (pediatric liquid) Advil bottle in her hand….she managed to open the bottle and drink what was left. Thank God there was less than a dose left and was almost empty….no doubt in my mind she coukd have OD’d had it been a new full bottle.

  2. I was scared for you and your family while reading your post. I can’t even imagine how stressed out you and your wife were. Thankfully, everything turned out ok.

    I’m pretty sure if I asked my parents, they would tell me I tried to eat coins. Maybe because of their shape and size, kids could perceive them to be like candy? Or it could be that kids want to try to eat everything.

  3. Oh goodness, that is terrifying and I can well imagine being in the same fix. I’m so so glad she was alright in the end.

    LB is at an age where EVERYTHING goes into hir mouth so just at a handful of months I’m having to teach hir “no” (not that ze gets it yet). And naturally, wanting to sit up means ze is forever taking every opportunity to hoist hirself up, even in hir reclining chairs, and just this morning boosted hirself right out of it. Ze thunked hir head pretty hard and will have a bit of a mark to show for it. 🙁
    Revanche recently posted..Just a little (link) love: Raine+Stardust EditionMy Profile

  4. I don’t have kids, so thankfully I haven’t been through that. But twice in the past two years we’ve had to call an ambulance for my husband. He has asthma (now upgraded to COPD) and he kept getting bad chest colds. The last time, it turned out he had pneumonia.

    He would be sleeping in the other room, so that I could get some rest away from his hacking. And each time, I heard a panicked “Help! Help me!” I ran to him, found out that, even with the nebulizer, he wasn’t getting enough oxygen and had to call 911. Then sit with him and try to keep him from further panic.

    A couple of months ago, my MIL (who lives in the guest house) had wandered over to the uneven, unlit side of the structure, probably to sneak a cigarette. She had tripped and hit her head on an old paving stone the previous owners had left lying around. Opened her head up. Tim was with her and had to scream to get his dad to wake up, who then came and got me, and I was once again on the phone with 911. Tim had to practically hold her down because she kept trying to get up or push away the rag he was holding to her face. The next day, she had stitches in two areas and a black eye so bad that it was practically swollen shut. Nerve-wracking to say the least.
    Abigail @ipickuppennies recently posted..Denial ain’t just a river in EgyptMy Profile

  5. Wow, that had to be horrible not knowing that all would be okay. Glad it turned out to be nothing truly threatening, though I’m sure it was truly bad experience for all of you. Most important thing is that she’s okay now. I’ve heard of something just like this happening to another family, and their kid had a hospital/ER situation as well but it all turned out okay.
    Squirrelers recently posted..Sometimes Working Less Can Make You WealthierMy Profile

  6. Oh, my goodness! What a terrifying experience!

    Into each parent’s life some such misadventure comes…but that doesn’t make it any better when it happens to you. I’m so sorry you had to go through this, and very, very happy it…uhm, all came out in the end.

    Reminds me of the time I followed a fire engine up the main drag to my house, only to watch it drive right straight up to my house. Yipes.
    Funny about Money recently posted..The Writer’s DinnerMy Profile

Comments are closed.