Business Insider featured a great article pointing out how Yahoo is doing great these days…at getting their butts kicked.
This article rang so true for me.
For me, when the Internet became big, Yahoo was numero uno as far as it went.
I thought I’d go back and look at all the various services that I used with Yahoo and see if I still used them or what happened.
- Yahoo Mail – I signed up for a Yahoo mail account some time in the late 1990’s or early 2000’s. I had recently switched jobs and prior to that, had been using my work e-mail for most communication. It was too much of a big hassle to send out thet ‘My e-mail address is changing’ notification when I left, so I decided to move to an e-mail that I knew would stick with me. Today: This is still a service that I still used and is my primary personal e-mail.
- My Yahoo Home Page – For years, internet browsers didn’t have these things called ‘tabs’. So, in order to pull as much information as possible, I used the My Yahoo page to give me information at a glance. I customized various news feeds that kept me up to date, it had stock quotes that I could customize, and a whole slew of other features that I used religiously, until one day…..I didn’t. Today: I haven’t used this feature in years.
- Yahoo Search – I used Yahoo for internet searches always. I’ll never forget the day I was sitting with a co-worker and he pulled up a search engine page that was so simple it was almost laughable. “Google,” I said, “What’s that?” It didn’t take long until I switched over. Today: Google gets about 99% of my searches. Bing gets the other 1%. That leaves Yahoo with…nothing.
- Yahoo Personals – Hey, I haven’t had to use an internet dating service for many years now, but back in the early part of the 2000’s (way before I met wonderful Mrs. Beagle), I jumped on the internet dating bandwagon. I used a couple of different services, but Yahoo was my main source of finding potential matchups. I got an e-mail a couple of years ago that they were discontinuing this service, so even if I wasn’t happily married, Yahoo would be getting exactly none of this usage.
- Yahoo Photos – Yahoo also had a pretty cool place to centrally store photos. I stored a lot of various pictures over the years after I got my first digital camera (a sweet 3 mega-pixel deal that I paid handsomely for). Eventually, other services like My Space and then Facebook made this go dormant. Again, I got an e-mail that Yahoo was discontinuing this service, so by default, they get no traffic from me or anybody else.
There had to have been other Yahoo services that I used. I just don’t remember them. I do know that I don’t use them anymore. And, what’s even more telling is that I haven’t replaced any of the services that I stopped using with any other Yahoo services. In other words, Yahoo has done very little to grow and adapt to my needs, and I’m pretty sure there are millions of other people out there that would say the exact same thing.
Any recovering Yahoo users out there with fond (or not so fond) memories?