Another Friday and another 8 hours to go until the weekend. I'll be taking my daughters swimming at my parents' house while my wife is at a wedding shower. Yes, another wedding and another $500 of wealth redistributed.
Weekends are usually busy and busy means expensive. It costs $10 in gas just to get there, but it's the price we pay for living in a modern society, and not on the fringes. It costs money to be social, but it's money (usually) well spent.
My daughters are getting spoiled now that they are on summer vacation. On Tuesday they went to the zoo and the circus IN THE SAME DAY! I should have went into teaching like my wife did so I could have summers off. I'm not wired right to be a teacher and admire those who are.
BEST PERSONAL FINANCE (& LIFESTYLE) WRITING OF THE WEEK
- Brave New Life has a touching reflection on the anniversary of a life-changing event.
- Finance Fox serves up, then smacks down 35 Money Lies People Tell Regularly.
- Colin Wright of Exile Lifestyle is making a foray into building a self publishing community, and he's succeeding. Go read the first chapter of his new book Iceland India Interstate, here, and I promise you will want to read the rest of the book.
- Fearless Men has a guest column on how to win a bar fight, written by a Jeet Kune Do instructor. It's a detailed guide that may get you arrested.
- Jeremy at Modest Money has a post that is modestly titled Overcoming Unemployment Challenges, but is more about overcoming deep-seated personal challenges with heartfelt confessions.
My posts were featured in some carnivals this past week:
- Carnival of Financial Camaraderie at My University Money
- Festival of Frugality at The Frugal Toad
- Carnival of Financial Planning at Rambling Fever
- Carnival of MoneyPros at Financial Conflict Coach
- Yakezie Carnival at 20s Finances
- Carnival of Retirement at Finance Product Reviews
- Financial Carnival for Young Adults at Young Family Finance