I created a list of things to do around the house that I want to get done sometime in the spring. Here’s a rundown of each one and where it stands:
- Basement Cleaning and Reorganization – Over the winter, I kicked off a project to clean up and organize the basement. This involved setting up some additional shelving, re-organizing and discarding lots of old computer equipment, books, and other items, many of which were never properly dealt with when we moved into the house in 2007. I’m proud to say that I worked on this one right off the bat and that this is DONE
- Replace backup sump pump battery – We have a sump pump that runs a lot in the springtime and during heavy rains. There’s a battery driven backup system. I noted that it no longer works, so I took the battery out and need to purchase, install, and test a new marine battery for the backup system. IN PROCESS
- Repair and repaint bathroom ceiling – Some of the paint was peeling after twelve years of showers and steam (and a not very well located exhaust fan). In order to avoid potential mold damage or drywall failure, I’m patching areas, re-priming and re-painting the ceiling in the master bath. I’ve been working through this and expect to be done soon. IN PROCESS
- Repair and repaint damaged bathroom wall – A towel bar was never installed properly and when I attempted to repair it by moving the anchor holes over, it didn’t work and created a hole in the wall instead. I’m installing a hook on the bathroom door in lieu of the towel rack, and have worked on repairing the hole, and am planning on priming and re-painting at the same time as the ceiling work. IN PROCESS
- Unclog master bath sink drain – The drain from the sink has been running slow pretty much since we moved in. Drano helps but only for a little bit of time. I need to unclog the line or replace the drain.
- Clean window blinds – We have fifteen windows with standard horizontal blinds that haven’t been thoroughly cleaned since we moved in and the dustings and quick wipes are no longer cutting it. I need to take them down and clean them. Any suggestions on the best way would be appreciated.
- Clean inside windows – While the blinds are down, I want to clean the windows with non-streak glass cleaner. The outsides are professionally done.
- Re-paint shutters – I painted the shutters two years ago and I guess I have my answer on how often they should be re-painted.
- Re-paint front door / garage entry door – The front door is painted the same color as the shutters and has actually suffered the majority of the fading since it gets lots of afternoon sun so I’ll do this in conjunction with the shutters.
- Assemble swing set – My in-laws had a neighbor that was losing her house last year, and had a swing set only a couple of years old that her kids had played with. She offered it to us via my in-laws, saying all we had to do was disassemble it. It’s currently in pieces on my in-laws patio, so we want to put it together and paint it so that Baby Beagle has a swing set to play on, which will be nice especially when he gets older.
- Clean deck – I want to thoroughly wash our deck to remove some of the grime that has appeared since I painted it last year, as I’ve been advised that washing it will extend the life of the paint job.
- Clean garage – I do a re-org and cleanup every spring and fall (at the minimum), so it’ll be time to do that soon!
- Clean out dryer line – Good thing to do to prevent dryer fires.
- Hang clock – My grandmother had an old antique clock that I’ve always cherished. I have to mount this on the wall and put a couple of pieces back together….and then remember to wind it regularly!
It’s quite a list, but I’ve already got a head start on some of the bigger items, and some (like the clock and the cleaning of the deck and garage) can be knocked out pretty quickly. I’ll keep an update of how things are going.