Cheapest Car Insurance Rates in 2023
Get a Quick Quote
Cheap SR 22 Auto Insurance in Maine: Best Companies & Quotes
Personal Finance Expert
Tyron Jones is a finance expert who has operated within the auto insurance business for more than 10 years. He has written many other finance related articles for a number of prominent publications.
Best Car Insurance Companies in Maine
- Concord Group
- State Farm
|Geico||Concord Group||State Farm||Metropolitan||Allstate||Progressive|
|AM Best Financial Strength Rating||A++||A+||A++||A||A+||A+|
|JD Power 2019 Overall Customer Satisfaction score||4/5||N/A||3/5||3/5||4/5||3/5|
|Avg Annual Premium||$301||$478||$479||$529||$772||$624|
|Consumer Reports Reader Score||78||N/A||78||N/A||72||75|
|BBB Rating||A+||A+||A+||Not Rated||A+||A+|
Auto Insurance Statistics in Maine
Auto insurance rates in Maine have been much lower than the national average for many years with no sign of increasing. By having a look at the auto insurance rates in Maine, drivers can get an idea of the range they can expect to pay when it comes to auto insurance premiums in the local area.
Top 10 Cheapest Car Insurance Companies in Maine
|Rank||Company Name||Avg. Annual Premium|
|6||MMG Insurance Company||$1,029|
Drunk Driving Fatalities
Drinking and driving is a potentially deadly practice that often ends in fatalities. In Maine, the drunk driving rate started out low and then went incrementally higher over time. It reached a high point in 2016. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has done a tally of the number of drunk driving fatalities in Maine vs. nationwide.
Drunk driving fatalities in Maine from 2013 to 2017
Teen Drinking and Driving
Teen drinking and driving in Maine has been occurring at a rate that is much higher than the national average. This points to a serious concern that needs to be addressed by parents and teachers. The below statistics compare the percentage of Maine drivers that are teenagers who are drinking and driving related to national averages.
Teen Drinking & Driving in Maine vs. Nationwide (2017)
SR-22 Insurance in Maine
In Maine, an SR-22 insurance policy is simply a policy that ‘offers proof of insurance.' This means that your insurance provider will be required to provide evidence that you are covered by a minimal level of coverage. This helps the state ensure that you have a basic level of coverage that provides financial security to others on the road.
In Maine, SR-22 policies can get quite expensive. Insurance providers often charge more money to people who have previous infractions that have resulted in an SR-22 requirement. For this reason, make sure to compare the market before you sign up for a particular policy.
Car Theft in Maine
The rate of car theft in Maine is less than half of that of the national average. For drivers concerned about the rate of car theft in their state, it helps to have comprehensive car insurance coverage. The below data compares vehicular theft in Maine vs. other states across the country.
Vehicle thefts by rank Nationwide vs. Maine
Uninsured Motorists in Maine
Driving without uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage could leave you liable to pay for out of pocket expenses when an accident occurs. Understanding the risks inherent in driving without this type of coverage can encourage drivers to obtain this protection when taking out their auto insurance policies. The below data shows how well Maine ranks in the total number of reported uninsured motorists in the state in the year 2015.
Percentage of uninsured drivers (Top States in 2015)
- Geico: Geico is the cheapest major auto insurance company for Maine residents. The average Geico client pays only 682 dollars per year. This is nearly 500 dollars less than the Maine average of $1,141. Geico offers comprehensive coverage. Some of their features are bodily injury liability (insurance covering medical bills of other drivers injured by you in an accident), damage caused by uninsured drivers, and property damage caused by your vehicle. You can get a quote online with Geico. It's also possible to make claims 24/7. Customers are quite satisfied with the company. More than 80% of customers give Geico a rating of 5/5 stars.
- Patriot Insurance: Patriot Insurance's rates are quite low at an average of 733 dollars per month. One advantage of Patriot Insurance is the fact that you'll always be able to speak with a representative in person rather than online. In addition, the coverage offered by Patriot Insurance is quite comprehensive.
- Vermont Mutual: Vermont Mutual offers affordable car insurance to Maine residents at an average rate of 876 dollars per month. In addition, you can get discounts if you insure multiple vehicles through Vermont Mutual. You also can get discounts for bundling your car and home insurance with Vermont Mutual. You can report a claim by telephone 24/7, and they offer very comprehensive coverage. There are some extra perks of purchase their car insurance, such as the fact that they offer car security equipment.
- Country Way: Country Way offers affordable car insurance to Maine residents at an average rate of 922 dollars per year. You can use their search feature to find an agent located in your area. In addition, the coverage offered by Country Way is quite comprehensive, and it's easy to make a claim.
- Concord: Concord Group Insurance offers car insurance to Maine residents at an average rate of 945 dollars per year. In addition, Concord Group Insurance has numerous agents located throughout the state. With Concord Group Insurance, you can pay your bills either online or over the phone. Their coverage is comprehensive, and it's easy to make claims.
- MetLife: MetLife offers affordable insurance for Maine residents. The average client in Maine pays 991 dollars per year, which is around 150 dollars less per year than the car insurance rates of the average Maine resident. They are a widely known across the country for their comprehensive vehicle coverage. You can get a quote from MetLife online or over the phone.
However, there are a number of factors other than the company you choose that influence what you'll pay. One factor is your driving history. Therefore, there's a good chance that you might be able to lower your car insurance rates by obeying traffic laws and driving carefully. The type of vehicle you drive also has an influence on what you'll pay for insurance, and this is important to take into account when choosing a vehicle.
While this isn't a factor you can necessarily control, the city you live in will also factor into determining the rate you'll pay and which of the top car insurance companies offer the cheapest coverage.
Types of Auto Insurance Coverage in Maine:
- Comprehensive Insurance Coverage
- Bodily Injury Liability Insurance
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury Insurance
- Uninsured Motorist Property Damage Insurance
- Property Damage Liability Insurance
New Driver Requirements in Maine
In Maine, the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) mandates all drivers to obtain a Maine driver’s license within 30 days of residency in the state. Any driver who is over the age of 21 will first be issued a 1-year provisional driver license. Additionally, each applicant for a standard driver’s license will need to pass a knowledge test, vision screening test, and a road skills test.
Any residents who are 15 who plan on applying for a regular driver’s license will need to first obtain a permit in order to get driving experience. The permit will be valid for an 18-month time period. The following regulations apply during the permit period:
- The applicant will need to complete vision and knowledge tests
- The applicant needs to be accompanied by a licensed driver who is 20 years or older and has held their license for a minimum of 2 years.
- The applicant will need to complete 35 hours of supervised driving including 5 hours of night driving.
- The driver needs to hold the permit for a minimum of 6 months prior to applying or a standard driver’s license.
Source: Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV)
Cheap Auto Insurance Discounts
At CheapAutoInsurance.co, we want to help you save as much as possible on your auto insurance premiums in the state of Maine. That is why we have put together a list of top car insurance discounts that you can apply to save even more on your car insurance. Browse the list below to find some of the auto insurance discounts listed that can help you to save on the cost of car insurance in Maine each year.
- Anti-theft discount
- Mature driver discount
- Military or Veteran discount
- Bundling insurance policies discount
- Senior citizen discount
- Car safety features discount
- Good student discount
- Defensive driving discount
- Low-mileage discount
- Multi-car auto insurance discount
- Infrequent usage discount
General Maine Car Insurance
This section will answer the basic questions you have about car insurance in Maine. Use this information to give yourself the necessary background to handle other questions.
In Maine, how does getting car insurance work when not the vehicle owner?
How does auto insurance work in Maine?
For Maine auto insurance, how do I remove one car from policy?
What zip code to put for auto insurance in Maine?
How to buy liability car insurance in Maine?
How to change auto insurance in Maine?
Maine Car Insurance Laws
Maine’s car insurance laws are a bit different from those in other states. This section answers you questions about how car insurance laws work in Maine.
When did it become mandatory to have auto insurance in Maine?
What type of car insurance does Maine require?
What is the auto insurance minimum in Maine?
What is the penalty for failure to have proof of insurance in car in Maine?
What happens in Maine when you don't pay your car insurance?
Why can't I get same day auto insurance in Maine?
What is the penalty for driving without auto insurance in Maine?
What insurance coverage do I need for a financed car in Maine?
What happens when you get caught without auto insurance in Maine?
In Maine, are you required to show insurance when renting a car?
In Maine, how old do you have to be to get car insurance?
Do you need to show any insurance when registering a car in Maine?
When is a car a classic for Maine insurance?
Can you report someone who doesn’t have car insurance in Maine?
Do you need car insurance when you have a learner's permit in Maine?
How long can your children be on your auto insurance policy in Maine?
What amount of bodily injury insurance for auto is needed in Maine?
What is the Maine law for married couple car insurance?
When to add teen to car insurance in Maine?
What is the minimum car insurance coverage in Maine with a financed vehicle?
When you lease a car in Maine do you need insurance?
What are car insurance requirements to drive for Uber in Maine?
How to get temporary auto insurance in Maine?
Maine Car Insurance Prices
Nobody likes to pay too much for car insurance. This section will answer your questions about car insurance prices in Maine.
What is the average cost of car insurance in Maine?
What is the state of Maine mandated discount on auto insurance for smart driver course?
How long will a DUI affect your high risk car insurance rates in Maine?
How much does it cost to get car insurance after 3 DUIs in Maine?
How much is car insurance for young drivers in Maine?
How much does liability insurance cost for a car in Maine?
How much is full coverage auto insurance in Maine?
What is the cheapest car insurance in Maine?
How long does it take for car insurance to lower after car accident Maine?
How to get the cheapest auto insurance possible Maine?
Why is Maine car insurance so expensive?
Who has the least expensive auto insurance in Maine?
How much is car insurance in Maine for teens?
What type of motorcycle insurance should I get?
Maine Car Insurance Claims and Coverage
It can be hard to understand how insurance works in specific circumstances, this section looks at how car insurance claims and coverage works in Maine. The trick to finding cheap auto insurance for teenager drivers is to get a quote from a number of different companies and then talk to them and negotiate.
What happens in Maine if you hit a car and you have no insurance?
How much does auto insurance pay for medical expenses in Maine before claim is closed?
How does car insurance settlement work in Maine?
For a car accident injury, whose insurance pays in Maine?
Other Maine Car Insurance Questions
This section covers some questions that don’t fit into our other categories.