The advancement in veterinary care and availability of nutritional products has made it possible for pets to enjoy a longer lifespan. However, the costs associated with owning a pet has also increased. The cost of food, accessory, toys, and veterinary care are just a few of the things associated with pet care. This is why pet insurance was developed – to provide financial protection to pet owners against unexpected costs.
Is cheap dog & cat insurance worth it?
Dog and cat insurance is essential if you are a pet owner. It is the worst case scenario to have to see your pet ill, or suffer an accident. When this happens to your pet cat or dog, you need to seek professional treatment.
Unfortunately, the cost of veterinary care and treatment can set you back thousands of dollars. A pet health insurance is a way to hedge against unnecessary expenses and keep them under control, in the event that something does happen to your pet.
Insurance is just one of the costs involved with owning a pet. However, it is a worthy investment because it is meant to protect you when something unexpected happens. This will ensure that you can give your pet the treatment that it deserves.
What can pet insurance cover?
Like any other types of insurance, dog and cat insurance will vary significantly based on a number of factors. This is important that you do your research in your quest to find cheap dog and cat insurance so you can get a policy that meets your needs.
Pet insurance does not just cover veterinary costs. There several things that it could potentially cover, such as the following:
- Wellness – This can cover routine and preventive care for your pets such as vaccinations, immunizations, dental work, and veterinary checkup. It cannot be used for accidents or illness.
- Accident – This covers injuries sustained from an accident such as being hit by a car or accidentally ingesting foreign objects.
- Illness – It covers for illnesses and diseases affecting your pet that require treatment and veterinary care.
- Accident and Illness – This can cover treatment and care for both accidents and illnesses.
The level of coverage in cheap dog and cat insurance can also vary widely. Most insurance companies offer them in three tiers: basic, enhanced, and premium. Obviously, the basic coverage is the least expensive with the least amount of coverage. On the other hand, premium coverage offers most coverage with the highest rates.
It is important to note that pet health insurance is different from the policies of humans. It typically never covers an existing health condition of pets.
How to Find Cheap Dog & Cat Insurance
Cheap dog and cat insurance is hard to come by; it is a well-established fact that pet insurance can be expensive. You need to do your research and compare online from various insurance companies if you want to get the best deal.
Thankfully, it is not impossible to find cheap dog and cat insurance. There are a few things you need to know when you are shopping around:
- Make sure you keep up with your pet’s overall health and wellness. Take your pet to the vet regularly to ensure they are healthy and in good condition. If you insure your pet while they are young and healthy, you can qualify for cheap insurance rates.
- Choose a coverage that works for your pet. There is no point in spending a lot of money on insurance when it includes coverage that you won’t be able to use. Check out various insurance companies and look for ones that can customize your policy. That way, you can get the best price for the coverage you actually need rather than pay for those that you won’t use anyway.
- Choose insurance providers with a reliable reimbursement model. The actual reimbursement percentage will vary from one provider to another so choose the one that can offer the best percentage.
- Consider multi-pet insurance. This is an option that is available in select and not all insurance providers. By insuring more than one pet, you can get a discount on your policy.
- Research the insurance company’s track record. There is no point in getting cheap dog and cat insurance if the company is not dependable. Research the company to make sure that it is financially stable and reliable when filing claims.
Best Pet Insurance Companies of 2021
Knowing the information above, the next step is to search for the best insurance companies that offer cheap dog and cat insurance. This is a breakdown of your best options in the market.
With a starting price of $99 per year, this is one of the best insurance companies for those looking for cheap dog and cat insurance. They have low monthly fees and can cover all types of pets, not just cats and dogs. There are no annual limits and deductibles, too. You can get coverage for accidents, illnesses, preventive care, and pre-existing conditions.
Pet First Insurance
This is the best insurance provider for those looking to give maximum routine care for their pets. It comes with a starting price of $125 per year with up to $250 deductible. You can even enjoy accident coverage the day after your pet is enrolled into the policy. Some of the treatment and care your pet can get with this insurance provider include X-rays, medications, diagnostic tests, surgeries, emergency care, and more.
This is the best insurance provider for owners with multiple pets. The starting rate for insurance premium is $118 per year. You can get a deductible of up to $500 depending on your coverage.
You can get up to 10% discount for every pet insured. It is also linked with various licensed vets in the US and Canada.