Welcome!!! I'm Crystal. And you have found my blog, Budgeting in the Fun Stuff (BFS) – the only hobby I've ever kept up with for more than 3 months straight. 😉 BFS was started in February 2010, and I haven't been able to tear myself away since then. If you're interested you too can how to start a personal blog.
This is the Blog That You Are Looking For
The biggest thing you should know about me is that I LOVE MY READERS. Seriously, I have shared every detail of everything we have accomplished, as well as our mistakes, every step of the way right here on BFS. I reply to emails, try to blog about things that would interest you, and have supported anyone I can along the way with anything I've learned as I've gone along. I created this blog to be a hidey hole for everyone who loves talking about personal finance and how to earn extra money at home. This is the personal finance geek world that I hope you'll love too.
If anything here inspires you to start your own blog, please do check out my free step-by-step guide to starting a blog using Bluehost. It also includes pointers whether you use Bluehost or not for those of you that prefer other spots, but Bluehost is the only one that offered me a lower, promotional rate to share with all of you. Hence all of the screen print step-by-steps being from them. 🙂
My Life Via BFS Links
This blog and its readers have seen me go through quite a bit:
- From mid-2005 through mid-July 2011, I made between $26,500-$35,500 a year in a dead end cubicle job.
- I started BFS in February 2010.
- We paid off our car loan in mid-2010.
- I made $5000 with just this blog by the end of 2010, which made me realize that I could make a living from home someday.
- My success led to other bloggers hiring me to run their advertising starting in April 2011.
- I was able to quit my day job in July 2011 to grow my online business faster.
- I made $100,000+ being self-employed in 2011.
- My husband started helping me with work from home opportunities in January 2012.
- I published my first eBook, How I Make Money Blogging, in July 2012. This guide for beginners covers how to start a blog and what to do with one once you have it.
- I was a speaker at the Financial Blogger Conference 2012.
- We bought our new house, our hopefully forever home, in October 2012.
- I made $140,000+ being self-employed in 2012.
- We paid off our first home in April 2013. It's now our rental property.
- I published my second eBook, Managing Your Monthly Nut, in July 2013. It's an easy guide to start budgeting and the reasons you would want to.
- I assisted in organizing and spoke at the first ever FinCon Bootcamp that led into the Financial Blogger Conference 2013.
- Self-employment income went to $115,000+.
- I started Crystal's Cozy Care Pet Sitting in February 2014 to help make up the difference. This has been my best side hustle idea.
- Self-employment income was $85,000+ in 2014 (a good year to be thankful for a rental property, lol).
- Okay, so 2015 was job boring and life stressful. We got hit with a letter from the IRS that we owed $69,000 from 2013 (which we didn't), and we've been fighting that up into mid-2016 so far.
- Our self-employment income for 2015 was $80,000+.
- For 2016 so far (updating this in mid-May 2016), we're at $35,000+. I came out of my stupor of 2015 and have just re-started a motivational streak in blogging.
- This blog has been featured in Forbes, Yahoo, and Get Rich Slowly several times.
Please Join the BFS Family to See What's Next
It's been the most amazing 6 years I could have ever imagined. My life has changed because of this blog, which is my part time job online, and I am super happy to say that others have said the same. Please feel free to peruse some of the posts I linked to in the above history to get a better idea of who I am. Once you feel like jumping in, please check out some recent posts and comment away! You can also sign up to receive my posts via email or my special weekly newsletters with links to my exclusive monthly giveaways by clicking here. I can't wait to “meet” you! 😀