Since the recipes have seemed to go over really well, I received permission from my husband's grandma to release her ultimate sweet potato recipe. It's super simple and cheap, but I warn you, they are unhealthy and addictive…dangerous combination. 🙂
Betty's Sweet Potatoes
- 5 medium or 4 large sweet potatoes ($2.93 at Kroger)
- 1 stick of butter ($0.40 at Kroger)
- 1 cup of brown sugar (about $0.30 at Kroger)
- 1/2 cup of orange juice (I'm rounding up to $0.20)
- Total cost was less than $4 or about $0.50 to $1 per serving depending on your personal serving size.
1. Place sweet potatoes in a large pot of water and boil for 30 minutes until mostly done.
2. Peel potatoes, slice them into sections, and place them in an 8″ x 8″ pan.
3. Cube the stick of butter and place evenly on top of the potatoes, sprinkle on the cup of brown sugar, and pour the 1/2 cup of orange juice on top.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the liquid looks thick and bubbly. Let them cool off a bit and enjoy!
These are soooo good!
Do you have any other frugal and tasty recipe ideas that even I could cook? 🙂