Taking a little break from personal finance, I thought I'd talk about some things that amuse me of late. One of the biggest things I've recently been turned onto is Russian Car Crash videos. You can find thousands of them on Youtube, just start typing Russian Car, and it'll come right up. Here is a channel that I've found is one of the more entertaining.
The reason that there are so many from Russia is that, from the sounds of it, just about every driver installs a dashcam. I guess insurance fraud is rampant over there, so companies will offer discounts when drivers install a dashcam.
The other reason is that, from what I can see, Russians simply haven't picked up on the nuances of driving just yet.
Russian Crashes – What's The Deal?
- Turning from any lane is apparently something they do. Unfortunately, this seems to lead to many crashes with drivers not turning.
- Every tire on our two cars and trailer have been changed over the last 18 months. I'm pretty sure that all of them plus every other tire with worn tread is sent over to Russia and installed on cars there. It seems that losing control is altogether too easy.
- Russian drivers seem to have a theory about driving in the snow, that if you drive faster, you might get done with driving in it sooner. Alas, all this extra speed seems to lead to many, many accidents.
- People in Russia seem to stop their cars in the middle of the road for any reason. Why bother pulling to the shoulder when you can stop in the middle lane of a three lane highway instead? What's the worst that could happen? Just countless accidents from other unsuspecting drivers having to swerve out of the way!
- It must be perfectly normal that some drivers careen down a busy city street at three to four times the speed of any other car, because the number of accidents that take place with this scenario is very unsettling.
- Apparently crashes take place so often that, after a crash happens nearby, other drivers and pedestrians simply go about their business as if nothing had happened.
- There are a lot of trees in Russia, but I'm not sure what they actually do. None of them seem to ever hold leaves as it always appears to be wintertime there.
- I'm pretty sure I can swear in Russian now. I wouldn't know what I was saying, but after hearing some words repeated over and over, I have a pretty good idea.
Readers, are there any Youtube channels that you just can't stop watching? What do you think of crazy Russian dashcam videos?