I decided to take a quick peek at the items in my wallet. Looking through it, I'm not sure that I would qualify for moving towards a money clip, which I know is what a lot of people do, but I don't think I'm to the point of George Costanza, who as you may remember in Seinfeld, developed a back problem (and a tilt) as a result of an overstuffed wallet.
Going through my wallet, here are the things I have:
- Drivers license – Can't get around much without that
- PMI membership card – I'm a certified project manager, and this shows my credentials. Not at all needed but I worked hard for the certification, so when I see it, I get reminded of the hard work I put into it.
- Picture of my Baby Beagle
- Proof of auto insurance – Another must have for driving
- Citi Dividends credit card – Gas, groceries, etc. go on here
- Bank debit card – Most regular purchases go on here
- Credit union debit card – I could probably move this out and keep it at home. We have the account open but don't keep much money in here.
- Kohls Credit Card – We shop at Kohls now and then, and in order to take advantage of their ‘extra 15%-20%-30%' sales that come up almost weekly, you have to use your Kohls credit card. So, that's that.
- Speedway Rewards Card – We buy a lot of our gas at Speedway as it's generally one of the cheapest stations in the immediate area, so I swipe my rewards card. Eventually, I'll cash it in for a gas card or something.
- Caribou Coffee Gift card – Amount: Probably less than $1. I got this as a gift and I think I used it down to almost nothing when I was on a project where there was a Caribou Coffee in the building. I'm not there anymore, so I have no use for it. I should check this
- Health Insurance Card – Always good to have 🙂
- Costco Membership Card – Self-explanatory
- Library Card – Used very regularly to get books, CDs and movies that save us bucks instead of purchasing said items
- Vision Card – I don't wear glasses but for some reason, I carry around the insurance card that ties to our vision insurance plan
- Haircut Place Business Card – The lady I like to go to wrote her hours on the back, so I use this to remind me what days I should go in when I need a haircut
- Auto Club Card – In case of any breakdowns or for places that give you a deal if you use AAA, I have the auto club card with the phone number and membership number.
- PetSmart PetPerks Card – I've gotten many a savings from buying cat food and supplies at PetSmart.
- AutoZone Rewards Card – I need to probably throw this in my glove box because my shopping trips here are pretty few and far between
- Movie Theatre Rewards Card – Our favorite movie theatre gives you free snacks after so many purchases. We don't go too often but it's still nice to have when we do.
- DSW Shoes Rewards Card – I've bought a couple pairs of shoes from this store, and they do a program where you get some credit back. I should check and see what this involves to ensure I need to keep it.
- Various receipts – I usually stick restaurant receipts and the like in my wallet and clean it out every so often, once I've confirmed that the amount charged (with tips and all) matches what I wrote down.
- Cash – I currently have $3 that I've had for over three weeks.
I could probably cut a couple of things out, but overall, I think my wallet is pretty clean.
So, what's in your wallet?